Rules to be Forgotten
To learn Tai Chi Chuan, you must be sincere. Without sincerity, you will not be able to learn any art.
- To learn Tai Chi Chuan, you must be conscious of yourself both physically and mentally.
- To learn Tai Chi Chuan means to study yourself. You are the subject who is going to learn and it is you as an object which will be studied.
- Tai Chi Chuan as an art cannot be taught but has to be learned.
- You are going to learn a dance which is usually called the Form of Tai Chi Chuan.
- Tai Chi Chuan is more than its Form (or Forms).
- You learn Tai Chi Chuan by practicing the Form. Without doing it every day, no one can master it.
- You learn how to live harmoniously with yourself as well as with the world.
- Tai Chi Chuan can be learned as a physical therapy, a dance, a means to improve one's health, a self-defense art; it is a living philosophy.
- Tai Chi Chuan is a very creative art, but you must learn to be the creator.
- Tai Chi Chuan teaches you HOW TO LIVE, but it is up to you to live the way you want to live.
- Tai Chi Chuan is not a science, but is may be studied scientifically. However, it should be practiced as an art.
From On Tai Chi Chuan by T. Y. Pang, Academy of Chinese Wushu, Honolulu, Hawaii, 1974